I just got home and saw that this never was posted :( Here is this old post that's now new!!!
our last day in the village was Monday. we went to a village that previous teams have been to, and it was the village that our church raised money to dig a well for that village. Only to find out there was no water. They drilled for days and could get nothing. (sorry for the history lesson)
But this village had to be my favorite of all 3. Besides getting my baby fix (I held a few babies throughout the day) the clinic ran super smooth. There was no pushing and shoving it was calm. Everyone was happy and welcoming. it was a very different atmosphere there. We were welcomed by the kids when we first got out of the van. There were so many kids I wanted to just grab and take them home with me. (oh and I met the most precious little girl whose name was also Olivia)
This village was also the most emotional for me. When I was doing triage with JP someone came running in with a boy in their arms who had apparently just fell. Let me say this boy was very sick he was burning up he was thin, everything about him showed that he was in pain. He was rushed to malaria testing which came out to be negative. During the test he was given some meds to help the fever to go down, but he was just too weak. He began throwing up the medicine. it was then when I had to leave and just pray for that boy. I started to sob while praying because I felt so helpless. We never found out what happened because he was sent to Bamako. The place JP and Clint went to wasn't able to help very much. I have a lot of respect for those who are in the medical field. There is a lot of emotional strength required in that line of work.
We ended the day in the village by playing Simon says and doing the hokey pokey with about 50 kids. they were all laughing at us too baboos (white people). We walked around the village for a bit then started to drive off when in our first 3 minutes we got another flat tire!
Today we had quite the experience after visiting Hope school and seeing Emile's business we needed to go to the US embassy. While outside of the building our loveable team member Bunny took a picture of the building. which was a big no no. one of the guards saw her and brought her inside. She couldn't understand the guards bc they were speaking in French. the next thing we know Bunny, JP and the guard were doing the walk of shame. They had to walk to the side entrance where she had to delete her pictures of the embassy and had her passport photocopied. She was gone for a good 20 minutes. We were so glad to see that they didn't hold her hostage. It was very memorable and we couldnt help but laugh along with her.
After that we began to head to the market. We almost hit a police officer one the way. I bought a ring and some shaker thing we saw at church. (I already bought a painting earlier this week for my dorm room) we headed back home where we hung out with Anatole and Assouma by playing 4 different card games, eating cake before dinner and learning different French and English sentences.
Tomorrow we leave at midnight. This trip really does change you. All the friendships made. You realize how blessed you are. Tomorrow there will be a lot of reflecting. I know once I get back home Mali will be staying in mind.
I can't wait to be back home Thursday!
Sending lots of love :)
No comments:
Post a Comment